Monday, November 15, 2010

Meat and potatoes never hurt anybody

Is it just me or are we constantly worried about time? What time is the meeting? How long is the event? Where will we be inserting the keynote speaker on the timeline in the program?

If time was a meal, we’d consistently be serving hors d'oeuvres. I always go for the entrĂ©e. Whenever I meet with a client, I always ask that they schedule me for a time that is convenient for them. Not when they have 15 minutes to spare, but a bulk of time for genuine conversation. I think it is a waning feature nowadays.

I’m not trying to squeeze anything out of you. Neither am I interested in giving you a spiel. I am meeting with you to learn more about your organization, its needs and you as a person and member of the community. Sure, I am going to tell you about what we offer at The Lioness Group and our mission. However, I am going to tell you about it and a host of other things and if you decide you would like our services, fantastic – I’m ecstatic. And if you don’t, that is OK, too.

Trying to blurt out what I do in 10 minutes is not only a disservice to the professional services I provide, but a waste of our time. If my services are worth having, than offering it is enough. Talking a million words a minute and pressuring you into a deal should make the ears perk up on anyone. It should also tell you that they are interested in your cash and not the value of your company.

I like to work with people who care about the success of their organization, their employees/clients/consumers and community outreach. All are interlinked to the success of the other. All of these I hope to touch on in conversation. The fleeting 10-second sound bite is not my cup of tea. Maybe some like the little appetizer sprinkled with insincere rhetoric. But I prefer the meat and potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment